Bethany and Hannah Keime are two sisters who were both diagnosed at a young age with HCM (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy), the number one killer of student-athletes.
While both have the same heart condition (with differences in severity) and found much support from each other in that, they also have their own personal challenges dealing with the heart disease and all the life changes it has caused (more on that coming up in the interview).
In order to prevent more people from dying from a cardiac arrest, they started HeartCharged to spread awareness, and they are doing a damn great job on that.
Timestamps of this episode:
- Intro 00:00 - 02:33
- When Bethany and Hannah got diagnosed with HCM 02:33 - 10:02
- The symptoms they both experience from HCM 10:02 - 13:25
- Receiving support while dealing with HCM 13:25 - 15:01
- How to cope with giving up the things you loved doing 15:01 - 17:50
- The medication Bethany and Hannah took/take and dealing with the side effects 17:50 - 21:32
- Getting an ICD and learning to accept it 21:32 - 30:50
- When Hannah had her cardiac arrest 30:50 - 35:00
- Having the moment on camera when you received a shock from your ICD 35:00 - 38:00
- Support The Heart Warrior Project 38:00 - 39:45
- Jellis's experience of being shocked for the first time 39:45 - 30:33
- Dealing with the fears of getting shocked 30:33 - 41:39
- How common it is to have a cardiac arrest during your sleep 41:39 - 44:07
- When Bethany and Hannah decided to start HeartCharged 44:07 - 48:40
- The upcoming plans they both have with HeartCharged 48:40 - 52:00
- A last piece of advice from Bethany and Hannah to survivors 52:00 - 56:10
- Outro 56:10 - 57:00
- Support The Heart Warrior Project 57:00 - 58:03
Note that The Heart Warrior Project is run by one guy, which is, yes, me.
Like most people, I have bills to pay.
If you have found or come to find anything helpful or insightful here on the website, please consider supporting The Heart Warrior Project.
If you are a survivor, I would recommend buying either a Heart Warrior t-shirt or a Heart Warrior mug—or both!
I, together with an illustrator, created the design for them (and we’re working on more cool designs to come).
Both the t-shirt and the mug are made from durable and quality materials, and don’t they look just great?! Of course, these are just suggestions, but I do not think you will regret having them.
I personally love wearing the t-shirt myself. And I drink my coffee every day out of my Heart Warrior mug.
If the t-shirt or mug doesn’t speak to you, there are a few other ways to support The Heart Warrior Project:
- DONATIONS: The project accepts donations. Anything, even as little as 1 dollar, can help me keep this project alive.
- AFFILIATE LINKS: If there are any links to a product mentioned in an article or podcast episode and you are interested in buying it, consider doing so through the provided link. Likely, it will be an affiliate link. What is an affiliate link, you ask? Basically, it is a link where I could earn a small commission if someone buys the product through that link. Buying through this link will not cost you anything extra.
- SPREAD THE WORD: If you like what I am doing here, you could always simply spread the word about this project to anyone you think might benefit. It would help a lot.
Choosing any of these ways to support this project will truly help me a lot in putting out more content and building The Heart Warrior Project further.